of historical interest ... where are they now?
These are all companies and links that have recently closed or disappeared. If you would like a longer historical perspective, there's a link to RVAdvice.com on the vintage truck camping americana page or you can read about classic UK demountables.
• articacamper.com - Originally from Italy, Artica Carcamper specialize exclusively in demountables. Comprehensive details of options and weights. English language site available. (One of Germany's biggest demountable manufacturers, Artica's website has disappeared and a Google search for 'artica' or 'artica camper' draws a blank - last checked 07/12/12)
• cargobody.com - [M] Neat and compact but perhaps a little spartan, the camper version of Cargobody's pickup box. (The website has disappeared and a Google search for 'cargobody' draws a blank - last checked 02/11/12)
• driftaway.com.au - [M] Driftaway produce one model of demountable (they call it a 'glide-on'), the Pardalote, among their range of trailer caravans. Designed for a flat-bed it also has a rising roof. (The Driftaway website now makes no mention of the Pardalote, or of any other model of demountable camper - last checked 21/11/09)
• East Anglian Horsebox Co. - a specialist manufacturer and converter of horseboxes but they also supply a fairly comprehensive range of coachbuilding materials by mail order. (A sad way to start the New Year, East Anglian Horsebox Co. went into liquidation on the first of January 2013 - last checked 11/01/13)
• nomadcamper.co.uk - Nomad, who currently just sell Truck Tents for pickup beds and awnings for demountables, are planning a move into full demountable camper manufacture in the spring/summer of 2012. A website to watch for future developments. (Or not! The new demountable never materialised and now the website has disappeared as well - last checked 19/09/12)
• nordic-husbilar.se - [M] Nordic make a large range of motorcaravans including one demountable, the Nordic Camper. (Or at least they used to. They still make a large range of motorcaravans but sadly it no longer includes a demountable - last checked 27/11/10)
- [I] Importer of the Easy Camper range from
Sweden, badged as Leisure Camper. (Site
unavailable - with so few demountable manufacturers and importers in
the UK it's particularly sad to note the demise of one of them but NSR
Leisure appears to have become a victim of the difficult financial
times - last checked
• piggyback.com.au - Piggy Back Campers manufacture a range of backs and accessories for flat-bed pickup trucks (I don't know what's happened to Piggyback Campers; their website has just disappeared - last checked 05/05/13).
• polarvagnen.com - Website of Polar Caravans who manufacture a range of trailer caravans and two demountables - the 'Nanoq' and 'Miki'. The striking resemblance to models in the Easy Camper range is not coincidental. They are all made by S.Karosser AB. (It seems Polar have finally withdrawn from the demountable market. Having dabbled in it for a few years, they appear now to be concentrating exclusively on caravans and motorhomes - last checked 19/01/14).
• polycomposit.com - [M] The Polycomposit company produce the LogeMobile range of demountables and expedition vehicles. Their brochure (downloadable in pdf format) offers an enormous variety of layouts. (Sadly the 'credit crunch' continues to find its victims among demountable manufacturers. Polycomposit, the glass-fibre fabrication company that produced the highly-regarded LogeMobile range has gone into administration - last checked
Update - 18/03/2011 - "LogeMobile is dead, long live LogeMobile!" The same models have emerged under a new name - see 'rbmobile.fr' on the European manufacturers page.
• proactiv4x4.de - ProActiv are primarily manufacturers of expedition vehicles but include demountables within their range. (ProActiv appear to have moved out of the expedition vehicle market altogether and now just offer a range of services for commercial vehicles, e.g. lining, racking etc. - last checked 05/05/13)
• rangermotorhomes.co.uk - Rochdale-based Ranger Motorhomes manufacture campers and motorcaravans of many different kinds including their well-established Ranger demountable. Sold until recently through an agent the Ranger is now available directly from the manufacturers and can be bought 'off-the-peg' or built to order. (It's only a matter of weeks since Ranger announced the availability of a 4x4 coachbuilt for hire in the 2013 season but they seem to have gone out of business before even getting there! They have disappeared and then re-emerged before though so, with luck, the UK-based brand may be back - last checked 08/02/13)
• rbmobile.fr - LogeMobile is back but isn't called LogeMobile any more and isn't made by Polycomposit. Despite that, RB Mobile's models go by exactly the same names as the LogeMobile originals, i.e. 'Mangue' and 'Dynamis', and appear to be identical to them. A welcome return! (What goes around comes around! RB Mobile's brave attempt to maintain production has been short-lived sadly (see 'polycomposit.com' above). The company went into liquidation in July 2013 - last checked 12/01/14)
• roboafzetunits.nl - [M][I] Manufacturer of Robo Adventure demountables. They also import the Easy Camper range (badged as Nordstar) from Sweden. (Site appears to load but simply consists of a blank, pale blue page - last checked 12/02/09)
• Sidewaulk Camper Hire - Sidewaulk hire out motorhomes and caravans. They also used to hire out demountable campers and pickups, as is reflected in their company logo. From the website it would seem that perhaps they no longer do so but it may be worth asking. (I did, they don't - last checked 06/01/13)
• six-pac.com - [M] Another Californian producer, with a five-model range plus a 'shell-only' option for those with DIY skills. (It's now over a year since Six-Pac first posted a message on its site saying production was temporarily suspended. It seems as though it may have become a permanent state of affairs - last checked 07/12/12)
• snowrivercamper.com - [M] Site of Interior RV Products, manufacturer of SnowRiver and SnowBird campers. (Site unavailable - last checked 11/02/09)
• starcraftrv.com - Pine Mountain truck campers built by Starcraft RV. (Starcraft RV are still in business but are no longer producing truck campers - last checked 28/12/12)
• sunvalleyinc.com - [M] A slightly confusing site (not updated since 2003 so may not be current) for Sun-Lite and Apache campers. (Site unavailable - last checked 12/02/09)
• toppola.com - Has to be seen to be believed - manufacturer of a demountable camper for Saab hatchback cars! They also make a version for pickups. (Toppola actually suspended production back in 2006 but maintained their website, and the possibility of further production, until recently. Now the website's gone as well although the words "temporarily disabled" suggest, once again, the possibility of a return - last checked 06/02/14)
• wrv.com - [M] Western Recreational Vehicles, manufacturer of Alpenlite truck campers. (Message on site simply reads "Western Recreational Vehicles is currently closed" - last checked 12/02/09)
TOP of the page
WHAT'S ON THIS PAGE
These are links that I've moved from other pages, mostly because they have recently gone dead, presumably because the company or organisation has quit or gone bust. Of course, it may just be that they've shifted their website but, if that is the case, I've not been able to find the new location. I'm reluctant to remove them altogether until I'm sure, so if you're aware of what has happened to them, please let me know.